The unexpected tang of the cherries, really brings this flavor profile up a notch! Roasted Vegetables and Saffron Rice with Peas and Cherries.
- Olive Oil
- 6 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 small golden pumpkins, halved, seeded and sliced into wedges (next time, I’ll peel them when they’re raw) You could completely omit this, or add any kind of hearty squash that you like.
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 large, sweet onion, peeled and diced
- 1 family size package of Vigo Saffron Rice (or whatever rice you like)
- 1 small package of frozen Petit Peas, thawed
- 1/2 package of frozen cherries, thawed (wish I’d had more, they really made the meal!)
- Two big pinches of turmeric (optional, I’m trying to work more of this anti-inflammatory into our diet)
- sea salt
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. On a lined baking sheet toss the potatoes, pumpkin, garlic, salt and olive oil – with clean hands and put into the preheated oven, for 40 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat a large pot with a secure lid on med/high heat. Add enough olive oil to saute onions and when it’s hot, add the onions. Cook until they start to caramelize.
Add the rice package, and stir quickly until the rice starts to appear pearly.
Add four cups of water, bring to a boil, stir. Lower the heat to low, put the lid on and allow to simmer for 25 minutes (or however long your rice says to cook for)
Remove the vegetables from the oven when they’re done, add them to the rice, with the turmeric, stir gently. Then add the peas and cherries, stir again, gently. Serve.
It is OK to use my photos or content provided a link back and proper crediting is given